12 violonists from 6 countries go on to the semifinals June 1 and 2
Montréal, le 30 mai 2019 On May 29 and 30 was held the First round of the 2019 Violin Edition of the Concours musical international de Montréal. The jury selected twelve semifinalists, from 6 countries. The semifinal will take place on June 1 and 2 at Bourgie Hall.
Presided by Zarin Mehta, le 2019 international jury includes Pierre Amoyal (France), Kim Kashkashian (United States), Boris Kuschnir (Austria), Cho-Liang Lin (United States), Mihaela Martin (Romania), Barry Shiffman (Canada), Dmitry Sitkovetsky (United Kingdom/United States) and Pavel Vernikov (Israel – Switzerland).
Here is the performance order of the chosen candidates:
June 1, 11 a.m.
Leonard Fu (Germany)
Youjin Lee (South Korea)
Elli Choi (United States)
Christine Lim (United States/South Korea)
Lun Li (China)
Hao Zhou (United States)
June 2, 11 a.m.
Anna Lee (United States/South Korea)
Gyehee Kim (South Korea)
Hannah Tarley (États-Unis)
Fumika Mohri (Japon/Germany)
Johanna Pichlmair (Austria)
Michiru Matsuyama (Japan)
2019 CMIM FINAL
Following the Semifinal round, 6 violinists will proceed to the Final round, which will take place at the Maison Symphonique. Competitors perform a concerto with the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, conducted by Alexander Shelley, on June 4 and 5 at 7:30 p.m. The jury deliberation and the competition results will be made after the Final round on June 5. $150 000 in prizes and awards will be given during the award ceremony.
All CMIM rounds are webcast at concoursmontreal.ca.
Many other activities are presented during the CMIM until June 5
- May 31 In collaboration with the International Festival of Films on Art, the CMIM presents two free documentaries on violinists who have impacted the classical music world, Angèle Dubeau and Itzhak Perlman. 2:30 p.m.: Angèle en quatre temps; 16 h 30 :ITZHAK. | Cinéma du Musée. Free
- June 2 Violin makers and bow makers exhibition: The CMIM invites the public to meet the violin and bow makers of the Maker’s Forum | Salon des amis of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free
- June 3 Concert Bach 2 Bach with Dmitry Sitkovetsky, Kim Kashkashian, and Matt Haimovitz with special participation from Ayana Tsuji, 2016 Violin Edition CMIM Grand Winner 7:30 p.m. | Maison symphonique
- May 31, June 3 and 4 Masterclass with Pierre Amoyal (May 31, 2 p.m.), Mihaela Martin (June 3, 2 p.m.), and Boris Kuschnir (June 4, 2 p.m.) | Bourgie Hall
- Making of a violin at Salle Bourgie Twenty violin and bow makers from the Maker’s Forum participate in the making of a violin onsite during the First Round and Semi-Final at Bourgie Hall. This violin, valued at $20 000, will then be awarded to the winner of the CMIM on June 5.
Bourgie Hall, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
514 285-2000, ext. 4
ABOUT THE CMIM
Founded in 2002 and considered as one of the great cultural achievements in Canada, the CMIM is the only international competition in North America to be held annually and to feature three disciplines (piano, voice, and violin) in a three-year rotation. Among the CMIM’s Laureates are Maesha Brueggergosman, Philippe Sly, Benjamin Beilman, Beatrice Rana, and Charles Richard-Hamelin.
Facebook/Twitter/Instagram : @CMIMontreal