The Toronto Symphony Orchestra (TSO) announces the opening of two staff conductor positions— (1) TSO Resident Conductor, and (2) Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra (TSYO) Conductor—to begin during the 2018-2019 concert season. Qualified candidates may submit an application for one of these two part-time contract positions, or for a full-time contract for both roles.
TSO Resident Conductor:
The TSO Resident Conductor will work closely with Interim Artistic Director Sir Andrew Davis, TSO administrative staff, and the musicians of the TSO. This two-season position (2018-19 and 2019-20) includes significant podium time and repertoire building through a combination of conducting select TSO concerts and covering assigned TSO concerts and rehearsals. The Resident Conductor will gain enhanced understanding of a professional orchestra through critical training and active involvement in program planning, orchestra operations, recordings, tours, marketing, public relations, education and development activities. The Resident Conductor will also have a role in promoting and representing the work of the TSO. Based on availability, TSO guest conductors will be made available to the Resident Conductor for consultation and discussion. While no age requirement is mandated, it is expected that this position will be filled by a conductor continuing to develop his/her skills, but who has already demonstrated substantial accomplishment. For detailed information and history of the TSO, visit tso.ca/orchestra
The TSYO Conductor plays a vital role in creating and shaping the artistic profile of one of Canada’s leading youth orchestras. The TSYO Conductor will work with TSO administrative staff, Interim Artistic Director Sir Andrew Davis, and TSO Faculty Coaches to design a program of significant educational impact and growth opportunity for young musicians selected through a competitive audition process. In addition to conducting three TSYO concerts each season, the TSYO Conductor will gain practical experience with artistic planning, personnel management, library operations, marketing, fundraising, and orchestra production. The opportunity to meet TSO guest conductors and attend TSO rehearsals and performances is also available. For detailed information about the TSYO, visit tso.ca/toronto-symphony-youth-orchestra.
- All applicants for the positions of TSO Resident Conductor and/or TSYO Conductor must be Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants.
- The applicant is expected to reside in Toronto or within a reasonable distance to the city to ensure availability during the concert seasons defined within the term of the appointment.
- Applicants should have an advanced musical degree or equivalent with exceptional aural skills.
- Applicants are expected to have excellent verbal communication skills and the ability and desire to connect with audiences in order to advocate for the TSO, orchestral music, and the arts in a vibrant and diverse community
- Applicants should have previous experience working with professional orchestras.
- Demonstrated rehearsal skills, advanced knowledge of orchestral repertoire with a working knowledge of Canadian and international contemporary orchestral repertoire is essential.
- TSYO Conductor applicants or joint-position applicants must display proficiency in working with student musicians and/or have experience in a youth orchestra environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit tso.ca/ResidentConductor for application instructions.
Applications must include:
- Letter of interest (maximum one page) addressed to: The Search Committee. Applicant must clearly indicate if candidacy for a single or combined position is being sought.
- Full curriculum vitae (no longer than 5 pages) which includes citizenship, contact information, professional or management website (if applicable), information regarding educational background and professional activities and a list of three professional references with contact information.
- A complete list of repertoire, including information about performances past and future. This performance list should also include, if applicable, existing professional conducting commitments planned during the term of this residency.
- Two contrasting video clips representing the applicant’s work (inclusion of rehearsal footage strongly encouraged). Limit submissions to maximum 15 minutes in total with each segment clearly indexed.
- Applications can submitted online via the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/HxQ7r6KNIthFFhnyx37i or mailed to the following address: Toronto Symphony Orchestra at 145 Wellington Street, Suite 500, Toronto, ON M5J 1H8.
*All written application materials must be submitted in one single file. Only PDF documents will be accepted.
NOTE: The Search Committee will receive all applications for the position in confidence.
- The Search Committee will include Sir Andrew Davis (TSO Interim Artistic Director), musician representatives of the TSO, and TSO staff.
- Applications must be received no later than: Monday, February 19, 2018 at 5pm.
- Candidates who are selected as finalists will be notified by Thursday, March 8, 2018, and given the repertoire list and details for live auditions.
- Live auditions and interviews for finalists will take place on Saturday, April 7, 2018.
- The audition process will include a morning rehearsal with the TSO and/or an afternoon rehearsal with the TSYO, an interview with the search committee, and a prepared written exercise which will be presented to the search committee.
- The successful candidate(s) will be notified on or before April 20, 2018.
Terms of Contract:
- TSO Resident Conductor: July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2020. The successful candidate will make best efforts to be available to conduct the TSO February 22-28, 2019, and potentially the week of June 24, 2019. Conducting projects for 2019-20 have not yet been decided.
- TSYO Conductor: Following the initial two-year term, the TSYO Conductor contract will be renewed on a season basis as mutually agreed upon by TSYO Conductor, TSO Music Director, TSYO Faculty Coaches and TSO staff. 2018-2019 TSYO concerts are scheduled for November 25, 2018, February 17, 2019, and April 23 or 24, 2019. The TSYO Conductor is expected to conduct approximately six full rehearsals per program (18 rehearsals per season), which take place on Saturday afternoons from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM. The TSYO Conductor should also be available for TSYO Camp Weekend which takes place October 5-7, 2018, and for the TSYO annual concerto competition scheduled for December 10, 2018. Concert and activity dates for the 2019-2020 concert season have not yet been set.
- Compensation will be discussed at the time the position is offered